No Excuses Chump

| |


I did something bad.

You know how every teenager’s nightmare is that someone in her family will listen to her phone call while she talks to her friends? If she ever found out such a low trick had been played on her, she would willingly curse a thousand years of hangnails and bad hair days on the offender.

Well, call me a hypocrite. But I only did it once.

The weekend was coming up and everyone was making those weekend plans, including my unsuspecting brother Josh. It wasn’t so much as my finger accidentally slipped on the “Talk” button as it was that I was lulled into a lazy intrigue by the fact that our phones share a base, which features a large and shiny “Intercom” button and happens to be in my room. I’ll never forget what I heard.

The conversation went something like this:

Friend: “It’s the one that just came out. All of us are going to go and see it.”
Josh: “What’s it rated?”
Friend: “I think it’s PG-13, but your mom should say it’s okay.”
Josh: “Well, actually, I don’t think I want to see it.”
Friend: “You could just ask her.”
Josh: “I don’t want to see it.”
Friend: “Are you sure?”
Josh: “Yeah.”
Friend: “Alright. See ya.”
Josh: “Bye.”

I was so impressed with him. He didn’t try to shove off an excuse on my mom, blaming it on her. He didn’t apologize for the fact that he wouldn’t see it and they would have to change their plans if they were going to hang out.

I’m not sure how my willful infringement on his privacy got turned into a blessing, but I’m glad it did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a cool story. Way to go Josh! We need more people to stand up for what's right and what they believe in.

.