It’s 12:24 pm and I just got out of the shower I took immediately following the ending of the funeral for President Gordon B. Hinckley, who passed away last Sunday, January 27th, 2008. When I heard the news last Sunday as my mom talked to Sister Barker, a member of her Relief Society presidency, on the phone, all I felt was peace and gratitude. My emotion did well inside me but I did not cry. My mom and I were on the computer a few minutes later, looking over the press release, and I told her “I’d be down in a minute.” In the bathroom seconds later, I fell to my knees and prayed in gratitude to the Lord. I wanted to wear black to school, in respect, but because there was no school on either the following Monday or Tuesday, I was unable to. Virginia Pierce, President Hinckley’s daughter, said as she spoke at his funeral a couple of hours ago, that upon the passing of his dear wife, President Hinckley “felt the emotion,… [wept],” and then got up, put on his shoes, and went to work. In this moment, I wish to record, simply, my feelings and memory of him before I continue in my way. As I sat watching the funeral I thought to myself how I wished I had beautiful words to drape over his memory, but all I have are these: Oh, how I loved the Prophet Gordon Bitner Hinckley! Because he was a perfect mirror of the face and love of the Lord, I came to know him and Him, both. As President Hinckley’s prescribed cane marked the character of that great man, I shall, in the memory of him and his legacy, allow my trials to become my humor and my way into the hearts of others, marking my character.













No comments:
Post a Comment