En lei of AP Government testing this last week, I wanted to reflect on what I’d really take away from the course.
Government is easy when learned in technicality, and difficult when learned in context. It amazes me how man mixes up, botches up, makes exceptions to, regards precedent of, tries to act independently of, and treats such a simple, working plan—making it all so much more complicated than it should seem.
The power and prestige of the Supreme Court amazes me. While our government is based on checks and balances, it seemed to me that all angles came back to the Supreme Court and its decisions. Especially being an institution that defined its own powers, I regard it as one of the unique and single most important parts of our government.
Lastly, it was an amazing blessing to have the special opportunity to learn about government while watching it play out. Having turned eighteen, and looking forward to voting, it was awesome to have somewhat of a personal election guru as a teacher. The fact that Oregon’s votes will be closely watched in the first election of a long time, along with having Hilary Clinton visit my school, is an invaluable experience.
For the first time in history, the Democratic candidate will be either an African American or a woman. Just as with 9/11, the war on terrorism, the building of the 100 temples, and the record setting natural disasters, I will be able to tell my children and grandchildren one day that yes I was there—yes, I was among the young people who voted for Senator Obama. I can’t shake the feeling that he will be our next president, and this year primed me to be a part of living history.
Government is easy when learned in technicality, and difficult when learned in context. It amazes me how man mixes up, botches up, makes exceptions to, regards precedent of, tries to act independently of, and treats such a simple, working plan—making it all so much more complicated than it should seem.
The power and prestige of the Supreme Court amazes me. While our government is based on checks and balances, it seemed to me that all angles came back to the Supreme Court and its decisions. Especially being an institution that defined its own powers, I regard it as one of the unique and single most important parts of our government.
Lastly, it was an amazing blessing to have the special opportunity to learn about government while watching it play out. Having turned eighteen, and looking forward to voting, it was awesome to have somewhat of a personal election guru as a teacher. The fact that Oregon’s votes will be closely watched in the first election of a long time, along with having Hilary Clinton visit my school, is an invaluable experience.
For the first time in history, the Democratic candidate will be either an African American or a woman. Just as with 9/11, the war on terrorism, the building of the 100 temples, and the record setting natural disasters, I will be able to tell my children and grandchildren one day that yes I was there—yes, I was among the young people who voted for Senator Obama. I can’t shake the feeling that he will be our next president, and this year primed me to be a part of living history.














No comments:
Post a Comment