Speaking of Which

| |

This Sunday I was blessed with the opportunities to speak in Sacrament meeting for Father's Day and also at Seminary graduation later that evening.



On the left is a picture of my dad and I at BYU. Below is the talk I gave in Sacrament meeting.

"The greatest book available at this time to those on Earth, recorded by some of the greatest spirits to live, begins with the simple phrase: “I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father.” Not only did Nephi share in his father’s knowledge, but he knew it was good, and sought the counsel of his father through both prosperity and hard times.

"The greatest prophet, who D&C 135 acknowledges as having “done more for salvation of men than any other man except Christ,” even Joseph Smith, had a great lineage of his own. His father’s blessings and afflictions prepared a way for his son. Joseph Smith Sr. was a man whose financial situation required his sons to work hard, far and wide all his youth. Joseph Smith Jr. would not have met even a part of the people he knew, including his wife, if it weren’t for this blessing in disguise that his father had carried all his life.

"Even the greatest man, the Son of God, knew, loved, and suffered for the eternal goals He and His father shared. It was of His father, whose work He carried forth, that He asked that the cup might be removed. But there was no other way, and when the work was finally finished, it was to His Father that He commended His spirit.

" The Family, a Proclamation to the World states that 'fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.' These necessities include both water to quench our literal thirst, and water to quench our spiritual thirst. It is obvious that it is essential to the Plan of Happiness that fathers, along with their wives, guide the young, malleable minds fresh from heaven back to that heaven from which they came through the only way possible, through the Savior.

"2 Nephi 25 says, 'For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren to believe in Christ,

"'We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.'


"Thousands of years later, fathers provide food and housing by seeking guidance faithfully and prayerfully, lead family home evenings and family scripture study, provide service in the Church as they serve in their callings, attend the temple, and bless their children with every other thing they are able to so that their children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

"This gospel is about families and the love we have for each other. The gift of children is so often described as a godly one, but so, too, should the gift of parents be. We work together to figure out, understand, and testify of our Savior, who is the only light and the way.

"My own dad has taught me so much about the Savior. He has taught me out of the scriptures and by example. I am so grateful to have a worthy father."




On the left is a picture of my Sophomore Seminary class. Below is the talk I gave at Seminary graduation.


“For me, seminary was a drastically different experience every single year. I had seven different instructors and a slew of different classmates, but luckily I always had the same teacher and companion: the spirit.

“I know that I received a testimony of the Old Testament by the spirit this year. The best part about that is that I learned that it was the same spirit that had taught me, in the same way, about the New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants that have become “delicious” unto me.

“The topic I was asked to speak on tonight was how the study of the Old Testament has helped me in my life. But, the more I thought and prayed about it, the more clearly my answer came, again, by the spirit. It really is a strange question to ask, for I wouldn’t have lived at all were it not for the scriptures.

“The scriptures are life. That is because they lead us to the Savior. For a very long time I struggled with understanding the importance of scripture reading, but as I’ve watched the Lord’s hands in my life, I realized that the scriptures have very little to do with reading. They have to do with the way we study and test what is written inside.

“I admit that I put off studying the Old Testament all the way until this year, because I didn’t like the culture and couldn’t understand it as well, but I realized that the importance of all books of scripture is that they speak of Christ and His gospel.

“Context of scripture does lend to the meaning of doctrine when studied as intended—with the Savior as the centerpiece. Specifically, the Old Testament helped me gain a testimony of families and the temple, and how the two are intertwined. Learning about the way Solomon’s temple was dedicated and about the countless familial stories helped me gain an understanding of the importance of the family I will one day have. Because of the testimony I have gained, I delight in the work I have to do now, for I understand that it is all in preparation for when that day comes, and I understand that every day and all my talents and efforts count. Because of the faithful fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters of the Old Testament, who followed Christ, I too can follow. I am compelled to be more modest, more patient, more forgiving, more talented, more social, and harder working. Because those in the Old Testament loved the Savior, my every day life has been affected. As I have learned to love my Savior, He has taught me how to love the husband and children I do not even have yet.

“Another very special experience in my life this year was the passing of Gordon B Hinckley and his succession by President Monson. One of my favorite stories in the Old Testament is the passing of the mantel from Elija to Elisha. What a sacred occurrence! I learned that it is just as real now as it was then. It helped me accept, nothing wavering, and love President Monson as the newest Prophet, and helped me hope even more for the day when I will see President Hinckley on the other side of the veil, and thank him for what he did for me.

“I pray so much that all of you younger youth know who you are. And if you don’t, and you have questions, or if you have questions about the Savior, please go to seminary. Go for the love your Savior has for you. There is a definite reason for why He set up this program. If you attend casually, you may or may not learn about how to live your life. But if you desire it, you will choose to live at all—the way the Savior intended—and you will be blessed to do so more brilliantly and faithfully.

“On the way over here, I was reading my scriptures and found this one: Isaiah 55:3, ‘Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.’

“I love this program. I’m sad it’s over and I look forward to Institute. I love my Savior, and I’m so glad to stand and testify of Him.”

3 comments:

Trav and Ab said...

beautiful talks Megan.

Life's a Dance said...

I like your dad too. He has always been really cool and we are lucky to have him around!

Rachel D said...

Oh my goodness, Megan! I LOVE your blog! Thanks for sending the link. :)
The pic of you and your dad is adorable. I'm sure you'll have a blast being back at the Y this fall! And it's just crazy seeing pics of you as such a cute little girl and now you're wearing a prom dress, a graduation gown, and soon a college sweatshirt.
You're an amazing young woman with such a strong testimony - it's truly inspiring.
Thanks again for letting me peak into this little piece of your life. I'll be sure to check back often. :) You're welcome to hop on over to our family blog also. defnet.blogspot.com. We certainly don't have as much exciting news to share, but it's still fun to see a side of people (the blog view) that you don't get to see in normal day-to-day interaction.

.