"Walk with Me and I Will Watch Over You"

| |

This Christus statue was a Christmas gift; ever since then, it has stood on the bookshelf above my computer desk where I sit when I'm home. In frustration, in sadness, in happiness, in many moods I have thrown my head back and caught a glimpse of Him as He quietly watches over me. In each case, it was a comfort and a joy. He felt all things--frustration, sadness, happiness, and an infinite number more--that He might watch over us and guide us. What a beautiful reminder. He is over all.

It's interesting how this Easter season has gone. If there's one lesson I've learned this past year, it's that holidays don't really exist without family. True, the concepts remain, but I never realized how important it is to have a family to experience them with. God was wise to command us to gather together and edify each other. There is something special about that spirit of gathering, an additional power and influence the celebration of a holiday gains when celebrated among a group gathered together by the Lord's most divine purposes.

I've thought a lot about this weird, in between stage of life we call "college." If you really think about it, it seems like such an unnatural state to be in: family-less, without a constant home, competing as a single entity. The more I experience, the more I learn that God didn't mean for his people to be alone. His design is that we grow up in a family, have roommates and mission companions, and then begin our own families. I'm so grateful that He designed it that way.

At the same time, there is so much to learn in this stage of life. I'm constantly amazed by the opportunities available to me. Sometimes it feels as though I've been brought here to study and to learn specifically on my own, as though my singleness was meant to enhance the knowledge I gain in a specific way. And as I've thought about it lately I was glad that Easter came because it helped me learn: I'm not here alone, I'm here to take advantage of those amazing opportunities, which I will never get again. He allows us this stage not to walk alone but to walk with Him as our only constant companion. To experience and grow, making the journey together with our Savior.

I had one such experience last night. I attended The Pilgrim's Journey Home concert by the choirs. I bought a single ticket and went by myself. What an amazing experience. The songs were all of finding a way home and being grateful for a guiding Savior. The BYU choirs and the harmonic orchestra sang and played beautifully. I could feel their testimonies. Many of the composers were in attendance, including Mack Wilberg and a couple graduate students who have only just begun their wonderful careers. Hearing their work, and the testimony in it, the success they've found because of that testimony, inspired me in my own work at BYU. Someday I will be counted among those who have influence because of the craft the Lord has given them for the building of His kingdom. All because He loves me and wants to give me opportunity--just as with all His children.

I'm grateful for Easter and grateful for the Savior, my Redeemer, my Brother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, sweetpea, how i love you.

mom

.