Challenge #1

| |


Foremost, good writers are excellent readers and analysts. Good writing utilizes verbs and nouns, and uses few adjectives and no adverbs. Good writing is written in present tense. Of utmost importance, sound texts are part of a discussion, tapping into universal symbols and experiences. These are the differences between fading cultural phenomena (Harry Potter, Twilight) and technical, masterful writing (How to Kill a Mockingbird, 1984), which we value in societal discourse.

All these things and more are tedious if you're trying to remember them as you write; what a writer truly needs is practice that focuses on specific skills.

I'd like to think writing on my blog helps me become a better writer--that was part of my intent in creating it. Though it does help me to think (the most important part of writing), I don't think the picture diary it has become helps me practice any more than sitting at a computer writing all day would. Instead, I'm going to try periodic, focused exercises that will be fun to write and hopefully fun for you to read.

So, if you see that little gold writing icon at the beginning of my posts, don't feel like you have to read. I just thought I'd share a little piece of my soul and my love with anyone who's interested.

Please feel free to leave comments or responses. I can't get better without criticism. Thanks to Alysha for starting me out.

Challenge #1: Write a paragraph about a girl named Dot, but use no letters with dots (ex. i, j).

Dot longs for a rounded self. When bows of color stretch across the heavens, she looks up and frowns. “That bow has reached full character: to share all hues of oneself.” On a day, Dot could say to herself, “Today, let there be Blue,” only to charge Yellow as absent. She could cry, “Red there shall be!” only to regret Green. “Oh, how can a bow be all colors at once? One round of complete character? A Dot who can be but one color surely sees a sad self.” The thought passes and she also knows there are thoughts not yet thought. “Watch, for an un-thunk tomorrow turns out a Dot-bow yet.”

No comments:

.