This may open a can of worms, and will most likely come out hypocritical. But I write it only because I think the history and nature of blogging is such a fascinating societal feat.
I don't know how many bloggers realize that blogging was originally a political revolution. Quite a successful one, at that. It gives freedom of speech itself a freedom that wasn't there before. Anyone can say anything they want, and it's accessible to people all over the world with a click of the mouse.
Soon enough, however, just as with everything else on the Web, blogging was made available and easy-to-use. I find it hilarious that people used to worry about whether or not their lives could be worth of old Hollywood glamor, but now they worry about whether or not their lives would make an interesting blog.
It appears that this:
is the new this:
Yes, it's true. Blogging has been put in the hands of the public, and the quality thereof has greatly dropped. I have a friend who made an off-handed comment once about Mormon Mommy bloggers--now infamous on the web. The comment was made in reference to a cousin who spent most of her days taking the perfect pictures of her baby for her blog. I, too, feel slightly annoyed when I come across a blog that features nothing of consequence and nothing of interest, as though the posts are pages in a pre-teen's diary: self indulgent and over the top.
We're not the only one with these sentiments. A blogging mogul wrote this:
For us serious blog evangelists, it’s tempting to think “Everybody should have a blog”. About as tempting as the thought, “Everybody should be able to write well.” And about as realistic.
Blogging will never be a mainstream activity so long as being able to write [A] well, [B] often and [C] about stuff THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT remain the main barriers to entry.
I suppose it's fitting that blogging, like all brilliance, filters down through society into fad. So curious how the masses interpret the art.
Having said all of this, I must say I'm grateful for the connections blogging creates between families and friends all over the world. Technology has truly enabled us to be together even when we are apart. Because of its political background, blogging's reputation has been tinted by the heartless, biting character natural to politics. Families and friends have managed to turn this around.
So consider this a thank you to those bloggers who post to make others smile, laugh, think, or o give an inspiring part of themselves to others in any way. Your influence is much needed.
I don't know how many bloggers realize that blogging was originally a political revolution. Quite a successful one, at that. It gives freedom of speech itself a freedom that wasn't there before. Anyone can say anything they want, and it's accessible to people all over the world with a click of the mouse.
Soon enough, however, just as with everything else on the Web, blogging was made available and easy-to-use. I find it hilarious that people used to worry about whether or not their lives could be worth of old Hollywood glamor, but now they worry about whether or not their lives would make an interesting blog.
It appears that this:
is the new this:
Yes, it's true. Blogging has been put in the hands of the public, and the quality thereof has greatly dropped. I have a friend who made an off-handed comment once about Mormon Mommy bloggers--now infamous on the web. The comment was made in reference to a cousin who spent most of her days taking the perfect pictures of her baby for her blog. I, too, feel slightly annoyed when I come across a blog that features nothing of consequence and nothing of interest, as though the posts are pages in a pre-teen's diary: self indulgent and over the top.We're not the only one with these sentiments. A blogging mogul wrote this:
For us serious blog evangelists, it’s tempting to think “Everybody should have a blog”. About as tempting as the thought, “Everybody should be able to write well.” And about as realistic.
Blogging will never be a mainstream activity so long as being able to write [A] well, [B] often and [C] about stuff THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT remain the main barriers to entry.
I suppose it's fitting that blogging, like all brilliance, filters down through society into fad. So curious how the masses interpret the art.
Having said all of this, I must say I'm grateful for the connections blogging creates between families and friends all over the world. Technology has truly enabled us to be together even when we are apart. Because of its political background, blogging's reputation has been tinted by the heartless, biting character natural to politics. Families and friends have managed to turn this around.
So consider this a thank you to those bloggers who post to make others smile, laugh, think, or o give an inspiring part of themselves to others in any way. Your influence is much needed.

No pain, no gain, bloggers.













No comments:
Post a Comment