And They Called Her, "Megan N."

| |




I love my name. But I have to ask. Does anyone else have the First Letter of the Last Name syndrome and/or pet peeve?

Ever since I can remember, in almost all situations--church, school, play--I have been over frequently labeled as "Megan N." So much so that I was shocked to learn, as teacher aide in high school, that some kids don't even put a last name or initial on their papers at all. People seriously can get away with that??

Obviously, I have a common name. (Common because it rocks. Did you know "Megan" means pearl/soft and gentle?) But somehow in the course of my short, little life, whenever I am one of multiple Megan's in a situation, I've always been the Megan who got stuck as "Megan N.", rather than being the simply "Megan" Megan.

Now, you can't contend with the fact that people will assign First Letter of Last Name to people of secondary importance. For example, if you have a brother named Ben, you wouldn't call your brother Ben G. so you can call your friend Ben.

And there's nothing wrong with that. But c'mon people--does this happen to everyone, or is it just me? Who wants a best friend or boyfriend who can say, "Oh yeah, that's my cousin's/ sister's/ good friend's/ niece's/ mother's/ daughter's/ dog's name? It's like your name is tainted; are the impressions from the previous So Named reflected on you?




I swear I don't have identity crisis issues.
I also resisted the urge to post this song.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see. I have two good friends named Megan, my sister's friend is Megan, My niece is Megan, and heck, I probably have a cousin Megan, too.

Also, I wondered if you ever noticed your last letter of your first name is the first letter of your last name.

jasmine said...

i never had to deal with this since there weren't too many jasmines running around when i was in school. it was pretty uncommon in 1982 when i was born.

i think it would probably drive me a little bit nuts too though!

i love the name megan though...it certainly does rock. :)

Hilary said...

obviously the whole sister-roommate Megan thing kindof got in the way, but I totally understand the hate of using last name letters to designate people. I hate referring to people by their last names, it's so impersonal!! so I have to admit, I was one of those people who could just sign or label things "hilary" in school and everyone would know who it was. ^_^ hehe. so I am glad I could give you a totally different name for my phone. =D

Alysha said...

I totally understand what you mean. I know 14 people with the name Megan.
And whenever I talk to Sam about my friend megan (steeneck) I'm always like "Megan steeneck, not your megan!" because we always get confused.
it's rare that I come across someone with my same name (strangely enough....alysha is common isn't it???) but usually when I do I just so by Lysh or Aly or another one of my nicknames. Meggers is something I like to call my friend Megan Steeneck, so I call you Megs or Megan. so *I* don't get confuzzled.

.