Today, three ten year olds made me feel better about myself and my life than I thought possible. Yesterday was the worst day.
The lowest point in the day was at work. I was half way through my shift and everything was going fabulously; however, during the lunch rush a run in with one customer completely erased all of that. She gave me her ten dollar bill, and I punched it into the register and was getting her change when she stuck a bunch of coins in my face and insisted I take it so she could get a whole, single dollar bill back.
I couldn't re-enter change calculations on the register without manager approval and, especially considering it was lunch rush hour, felt like the best (and obvious) thing to do was verify the math in my head and get her change.
I completely froze, and my mind went blank. Seeing I was struggling and hesitating as I moved coins in and out of my hand, she started slowly repeating all these math problems and numbers to me, which not only made no sense to me, but also panicked me. Holding up the entire line, I soon had my trainer and the persnickety manager standing right behind me also counting change as the lady was having me do math with coins into her hand.
I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was so that stupid kid at the fast food place that can't even do basic math.
Then I got home and received the news that I was supposed to teach the CTR 10 class the following day. I almost cried at the thought of having to prepare a lesson in less than 12 hours for a class of kids who didn't do anything wrong.
Soon enough I found myself sitting in front of them--three unsuspecting, un-judging ten year olds. Somehow, they made me feel so good again. They listened and made me feel so comfortable. Even the shy girl started raising her hand more and more. I blabbered about the Word of Wisdom and they were simply listening and friendly.
More and more I am humbled by the love I'm shown--by a best friend who hangs out with me even when we have nothing to do. By a cousin who writes me as though we spend all our time together, when we only see each other a few precious times a year. By a boyf who takes the time to call me even though he's busy and tired. By women in the hall at church who I hardly know but feel are my sisters. By grandparents whose open-armed generosity has changed my life and been a comfort to me that I think of often. By a mom who makes sweets and good memories with me.
All just because we're making this journey here together.
I hope, one day, I can be as loving as you all have exemplified. Thank you.













2 comments:
Megan!! Thank you so much for your comments on my blog & twitter... you always know just what to say. =) I am so sorry you had a poop weekend =( I know just what you mean about the thing at work, I've had things like that happen to me before, too. But I'm glad Primary turned out to be a blessing rather than a burden! =) I hope this week will be better for you, you deserve it!! Love you!!!
-hilary
P.S. I read your blog comment and listened to Sweet Caroline in honor of you on my work today. =)
Ummm... I've definitely been the stupid kid that can't do math at work when someone adds change last minute. Don't feel bad.
Post a Comment