Life

| |

Hello again; it's good to talk to you. Blogger and I had a falling out this last month. I haven't legitimately posted since June. I don't know quite why. None of my happenings have fit snuggly into this little white side panel.

However, I will tell you where I have been. One of three places: doing chicky stuff, spending time with my family, or being at work.

Work has been the most incredibly interesting experience. The most common questions I get asked are:

"You don't drink coffee, do you?"
No, I had no idea how to clean out the coffee pots and was quite terrified of them.

"How old are you?" ("Oh wow. I thought of you as much younger.")
All my life I've been told that I was very mature for my age. I was so taken aback when it was quite the opposite at work. Here I am, the apparent 16- or 17-year-old. I suppose it's because, after spending any amount of time with me, it's easy to see that I have no tattoos, drink no coffee, have no drug stories to tell, don't need to negotiate with the managers to get the bills paid, and never swear.

"Do you have any kids?"

I can't believe how many people have asked me that. A conversation I had with my 25-year-old male co-worker on Saturday went like this:

D: So do you have any kids?
M: No, not yet.
D: [chuckles] Grateful for that, huh?
M: Yeah.
D: Yeah, understandable. Don't want to make a mistake with someone you don't actually want anything to do with. One mistake and you're stuck with them for 18 years. But I guess [having kids is] somethin' that I need to do soon if I want. I don't want to be 60 when my kid's graduating high school.

I'm grateful that this job will help pay the college bills, but more grateful for the two things it has taught me:

1. People are so wonderful. I went in to do a job, simply to do it the right way, to do it well, but I did not expect how attached to the people I would become. When they smile and wave because they see you walk in, or they verbally express how glad they are to have you on the same shift, when they let you know you're doing a good job... nothing could be more gratifying than that. None of them are LDS, but most of them have taught me more about love and friendship than a lot of people I've known. I want to be like them, and I can't believe how much I love them.

2. I'm so grateful for the gospel. To know what happiness is and to be blessed by the Lord to find it every day, and to be on the direct path to even greater happiness. So grateful for the testimonies of temple marriage and tithing.

Mostly, grateful to know that there's method to this madness commonly referred to as "life."

No comments:

.